Dr. Mariana Chilton, Children’s HealthWatch Co-Principal Investigator, was part of a distinguished C-SPAN panel moderated by Tavis Smiley that discussed proven solutions on how government officials can combat American poverty.
https://childrenshealthwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/CHW-25-anniversary-full-color_small.png 0 0 admin https://childrenshealthwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/CHW-25-anniversary-full-color_small.png admin2013-01-17 00:00:002016-11-08 17:39:20Travis Smiley Presents Poverty in America
Travis Smiley Presents Poverty in America
Dr. Mariana Chilton, Children’s HealthWatch Co-Principal Investigator, was part of a distinguished panel that discussed proven solutions on how government officials can contain the wildfire of American poverty. Other panelists included:
- Congresswoman Marcia L. Fudge, Representing the 11th District of Ohio
- Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the House of Representatives
- John D. Graham, dean, Indiana University School of Public & Environmental Affairs and author of America’s Poor and the Great Recession
- Rose Ann DeMoro, executive director of National Nurses United
- Jonathan Kozol, author of Fire in the Ashes: Twenty-Five Years Among the Poorest Children in America
- Jeffrey Sachs, director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University
- Cornel West, Union Theological Seminary Professor and author.
Dr. Chilton spoke about the prevalence and consequences of hunger and the importance of the SNAP (formerly food stamps) and WIC programs.
Click here to watch the panel discussion. Dr. Chilton starts speaking 34 minutes into the program.